Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I am blessed beyond all measure.

I am not one to toot my own horn and this post isn't intended to make anyone feel bad.
With that being said...
A few months ago I was in a hurry leaving work and heading to school when I decided McDonald's would be a quick and easy place to stop at to grab a snack.
I pulled into the parking lot and in the shade, I spotted a small old man listening to a battery operated radio.
My heart filled with sadness as I saw him from a distance in my comfortable car.
I was in the drive thru window and decided to order a few extra items to give to him.
I parked my car and walked over to him.
I sat with him and we ate lunch.
His name is John.
He is a war veteran, in a wheelchair, who is homeless and has cancer.
I missed class that day and talked to him.
People stared at us as they drove by.
I have never seen a more grateful face.
He is kind and sweet and calls me "kiddo"
Ever since that chilly January afternoon, I visit John almost weekly.
We eat lunch, sometimes breakfast and we chat.
He never asks for anything but is quick to thank me when I bring him food.
One day after Austin cleaned out his closet I grabbed a handful of t-shirts and went Walmart and bough some socks to bring to John.
When I pulled up to the parking lot I found him sleeping next to a trash can on the ground.
My heart was filled with sadness.
I handed him the stuff and he began to cry, he kept asking me why I was so nice to him.
I cried too.
I saw John today.
His cancer is getting worse.
He doesn't know how much longer he'll be around.
I am sad.
I am blessed.
Not a day goes by when I see John that he doesn't say:
"God Bless You, Kiddo."
and God does just that.
A couple of cheeseburgers, some apple pies and even an ice cream cone are all that it has taken to make John grateful for me.
It didn't cost me much, and a few minutes of my time make a world of difference to him.
It always starts with one person.
You will be blessed, and I am living, breathing, healthy proof of that.


2 comments:

  1. Oh Belinda - you are such a dear - this made me cry! We all need to take the time for someone else. I am so proud of you! Love you lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous....can't blog, not computer savvy....but I do make crafts.

    ReplyDelete